Sources close to Nigella Lawson say she is upset and riled after her husband Charles Saatchi's claims that she was somehow to blame for the couple's divorce.
Yesterday Charles (70) released a statement to the Mail on Sunday saying he made the “heartbreaking” decision to end their 10-year marriage, claiming he was “disappointed” his wife (53) had not released a public statement explaining the photographs released last month, which showed him grabbing her throat.
“I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced. This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart.
“I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.”
He added: “I wish Nigella only the best for her future, and for her continuing global success. She remains the most wonderful woman in the world. I feel very fortunate to have had such a lovely wife for many years.”
There has been no statement from Nigella’s party, but the star is said to have learned about the divorce papers while reading the newspaper, and is upset by Charles insinuation that she is to blame for the separation, sources tell the Daily Mail. The couple have not spoken since Nigella moved out of the couple’s home three weeks ago, with the TV star refusing to respond to his texts and emails.
Nigella’s PR team is said to have tried to make Charles issue a public apology for the alarming photographs, however Charles told the Evening Standard that the couple were having a “playful tiff” and later that he was trying to wipe his wife’s nose.
"Even domestic goddesses sometimes have a bit of snot in their nose. I was trying to fish it out," he said.