MAC senior make-up artist Nicole Thompson says the skin is the most important part of any make-up – get that right and you don’t need to bother applying so much of everything else.
While the models she works with might not have the lines, pigmentation and other issues we ordinary mortals have to contend with, the basics of capturing light will work for us all.
It’s not about looking shiny – you can still use a little powder strategically – it’s a matter of highlighting areas where the light would naturally fall and using lots of creamy products for a dewy finish, rather than brushing powdered bronzer on the cheekbones.
5 Steps to radiance:
- Start by drowning the face with hydration. Spray-on mists are ideal for this as they are lightweight and non-oily. Spritz on and then press into the skin. Nicole works with MAC Studio Moisture Fix $70, but you could also try Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Moisture Mist $26 or Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist $40.
- If you have tired looking eyes, give them an instant pick-me-up. Two roll-on products I’ve been trialling are Kanu Bee Venom Eye Lift $39 and LInden Leaves Eye Rescue Serum with white tea $49.99. Both nourish and tone delicate under-eye skin.
- For a fresh, second-skin effect go for a BB or CC cream with sheer coverage – don’t worry about covering every last freckle or brown spot. For mature skins, I like the new Revlon Age Defying CC Cream $28.50 or L’OrÉal Paris Youth code Luminosity BB Cream which contains reflective Anderson Liquid. Thanks to tiny particles that act like mirrors, it bounces light off the face without any glittery effect.
- Rather then limiting it to the cheekbones, take a tanned look right across the face by blending BB or CC cream with liquid bronzer such as Stila Stay All Day HD Bronzing Beauty Balm $79 and pressing into skin.
- If you feel uncomfortable without the fuller coverage of a foundation, opt for one with hydrating and light reflecting technology, such as Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturising Treatment Foundation $90 or L’OrÉal Paris Lumi Magique Light Infusing Foundation $42.99.