TIME TO SHINE
- Shimmer should be soft and gleaming on the skin, not glittery and chunky.
- Opt to highlight one area of the face with shimmer – either your eyes, cheeks or lips. Think of it as a spotlight. Shimmer will bring out your features and make them look larger, so bear that in mind when you decide where to go with the glow.
- If you have oily skin, go for powders rather than creamy shimmer products.
- If your complexion is warm, go for rose, copper or gold shimmer. If you have a cooler or very fair complexion, silver and platinum shades are better.
- You can wear shimmer no matter your age, but steer clear of applying it to very wrinkled or crepe-like areas, as it can settle into lines and accentuate them. You may need to stay with a satin eyeshadow formula and dust a little iridescence on the cheekbones, for instance. Try Jane Iredale 24-Karat Gold Dust Shimmer Powder in Champagne $25.
- Mix shimmer powder or dust with your body moisturiser for an all-over glow. Or you can mix it into your lip gloss. Just remember to exfoliate lips gently first, as the powder will emphasise any flakiness.
- For a subtle effect, dot a little shimmer in the middle of each lip.
- To highlight the eyes, apply a little shimmer just beneath the brow bone.
A SHIMMER POWDER
Summery nights and strappy frocks need skin that glows. Spritz the fine iridescent dust of The Body Shop The Sparkler in Copper $50 over cheeks, shoulders décolletage, hair and legs.
A SHEER SHIMMERY SHADOW
A sheer wash of iridescent eye colour looks sexy paired with liner and lashings of mascara. Try L’Oréal Paris Color Infallible La Couleur Eyeshadow in Cosmic Black $21.99. Cover your lid with the colour and blend out towards the browbone.
THE PERFECT RED LIP
Lancôme’s new L’Absolue Rouge Mat in 160 Rouge Hypnôse $57 is a beautiful pinky red, matte lippy that’s non-drying and contains skin-boosting pro-xylane. Remember if you’re going for a bold red lip then it pays to play down your eyes.
A TOUCH OF GLOSS
Wear a sheer, highly reflective gloss over nude lips to complement a smoky eye, or layer it over your lipstick for extra lustre. Try Bobbi Brown’s Brightening Lip Gloss in White $50 for both.
A SMOKY EYE
Copper and moonstone shades make a festive change from basic greys. You can’t go wrong with The Body Shop’s Smoky Eyes Palette $50. It comes with two brushes and instructions on how to achieve a pro-look finish.
A GLITTERY NAIL
One of the easiest places to wear sparkles is on your nails. Go metallic with Revlon Nail Classic Enamel in Silver Dollar $16.50. Or just go crazy with OPI’s pink glittery Excuse Moi $24.90.